In working in commercial real estate agency you will strike quite a few daily challenges and obstacles that threaten your career and commissions.
Understanding those things will help you progress through the barriers so you can come out on the other side with real results. Over time you can dominate your market with the right disciplines.
Your biggest obstacles in commercial real estate are your ‘habits’. Most people coming to the industry do so with all good intentions but lots of bad habits and ‘baggage’. These things will threaten their growth in so many different ways.
Think about this:
- Your habits impact the way you think and act.
- Your actions today will be directed by previously habits.
- You have set and established your habits over many years of life experiences.
- Your bad habits are holding you back from doing the important things for your career and income potential.
Your greatest agency competitor and the state Newport Residences of the economy are of minor concern in building your agency career. Your business habits are the big things that will make all the difference for you as you grow your business.
Understand this one thing; it is really hard to change your habits and actions in commercial real estate. It takes several weeks of deliberate effort and frustration to take a new path of focus and create a new habit. Some people refer to the ‘comfort zone’; the phrase is really just another variation of what are entrenched habits.
Here are some tips to help you take the next steps in your real estate agency career to modify your bad habits into good habits:
- Why are you in the industry? The answer I predict is going to be something like ‘earning more money’, ‘becoming a top salesperson’, or ‘starting your own real estate business’. The industry will always be new and different for many people. Develop the new skills that you require, improve them to the highest standard, and then build them as habits into your business day. Over time the right focus and actions will help you build market share. Good habits get you there.
- Identify the things that you should be doing or are not doing very well as part of your business day. If prospecting is one of them, you will need to lift your skills and solve the prospecting problem very quickly. Do everything you can to pull more clients and prospects around you. Interact with them regularly.
- It takes about 3 weeks of hard and directed effort to change your old actions and focus. After that time you can say that you have set a new habit. That’s where you need to be in your thinking and business plan.